Your roof is arguably the most important feature of your home. Roofs can vary in cost, but they are typically expensive. By taking a few precautionary measures, you can maximize the lifespan of your roof and hold off on an expensive project. It does not matter whether your roof is made of asphalt shingles, cedar shake, slate, or metal; these tips apply to all types of roofs.
- Keep Trees Trimmed- Do not let limbs grow over your house. When trees drop leaves, sticks, and branches, your roof is prone to damage.
- Keep Gutters Clean- You should clean your gutters at least twice each year. Clean gutters allow for water to flow properly off the house in storms. When gutters are clogged, water can back-up, which could prematurely age the roof.
- Use a Roof Rake- Roof rakes are tools used to remove snow from part of the roof. These tools can help to prevent ice dams. Ice dams can damage your roof over time.
- Ensure Proper Insulation- If large icicles form off of your gutters during the winter, it is likely that your home lacks proper insulation. Poorly insulated homes can really shorten the lifespan of the roof.
- Remove Moss- Moss tends to grow in damp, shady areas. The moss itself does not pose a hazard to your roof, but moss traps water, which can age the roof. Fortunately moss can be scraped off and there are chemicals that can be used to prevent moss build-up.
Universal Roofing is one of the most trusted construction and roofing companies in Omaha. With years of experience and industry leading tools and techniques, they know what it takes to keep your roof healthy for as long as possible. If you live within the Greater Omaha region and are in need of roof repair services, or roof removal and installation, contact the experts at Universal Roofing today for a free, no obligation estimate!