Finding a reliable roofing contractor can be a daunting task. By asking the right questions and doing a bit of research, you can find a reliable roofing contractor who will stand by their work for years to come.
- Roofing credentials. When doing your research, make sure to look for roofers who are licensed, insured, and bonded. Check each contractor’s references. Are they members of any special programs or associations? How long have they been in business? Roofing companies that have more experience have had more time to perfect their craft.
- Get proposals from multiple roofers. Keep in mind how each contractor plans to repair or replace your roof, and what they recommend.
- Insurance coverage. Ask questions about insurance coverage to ensure your home is protected from accidental damage.
- Don't jump at the lowest bid. Roofing contractors who offer dirt-cheap prices likely use low-quality, cheap materials. Be sure to choose a name you can trust.
- Choose a roofer who will get the necessary permits for your project. A reputable roofer will always make sure all the necessary paperwork is gathered before starting your roofing project.
- Code compliance. The roofing contractor you choose should be in accordance with all local ordinances and building codes. This will prevent the city from shutting down your projects of local codes are not met.
- Written contracts. Make sure the full scope of labor is explained thoroughly, including a start and end date, payment, thorough disposal of waste, and costs for unanticipated damage. Spoken contracts can be confusing and can lead to hidden costs.
- Check the warranty. Make sure the contractor you choose installs shingles and materials to the manufacturer’s specifications. Ask questions about damages and labor charges as well. Your warranty is likely the most important component to your new or repaired roof, so make sure it is explained clearly and all specifications are met.
When it comes time to repair or replace your roof, there is a lot of information to be learned about products and procedures that best meet your roofing needs. By covering these points, you will find a reliable roofing contractor who will give you professional advice and offer comprehensive service.